Goodbye

August 17, 2007 by Janet Worne
Filed under Blog

Today is an emotional day for me. It is the closing page of an important chapter in my life. Tomorrow I will begin a new one.

It is my last day as a Herald-Leader staff photographer. I am leaving Kentucky for the love of a good man, Paul Mansfield, who was originally from Lexington. I will move to New Mexico where he has lived for a number of years and I will make the switch to freelance photography.

I will miss this paper, this town, and especially all of my friends and co-workers. I came here 18 years ago as a widow and raised two wonderful daughters, Heather and Hilary. For the last ten years, I have volunteered with the Kentucky Search Dog Association and have spent many late nights following my dog through the hills of Eastern Kentucky looking for missing people.
8x10

The Herald-Leader has been a good, family-friendly place to work and I have many great memories. I have photographed a wide range of people from presidents to homeless people and everyone in-between. I have seen death, race riots and injustices as well as many moments of joy and compassion. I have met some amazing and inspiring people, some rich and some not so rich.
Ali

Much like in a mystery novel this last chapter has ended with somewhat of a cliffhanger. I have an idea of what might happen but there are many unanswered questions. Will I be able to bring in enough income? Will I adjust well to the altitude and desert heat? Will I find another good K9 Search and Rescue team? Will I find friends as wonderful as I have made here? Will I be able to top the work I’ve done at the Herald-Leader?

Tomorrow I’ll turn the page and find out. Wish me luck.
060428rolexjw

344 views

Comments

9 Responses to “Goodbye”
  1. Hilary says:

Good luck, Mom.

2. Paul says:

The desert awaits you with its mysterious and magical colors and its ever changing light. There are another million frames to shoot, you and I together.

– Paul, your loving husband to be.

3. Matt Goins says:

Keep up the great work, and never forget this Kentucky boy! You’ll be missed around here.

4. Bob says:

I will miss your work terribly. An old friend, Frank Anderson, made me aware of the paper’s photographic achievements (notice I didn’t say efforts) and you were a large part of those. You will be sorely missed. Good luck.

5. pam spaulding says:

I’m inspired by your courage to create a new chapter in your life. I’m glad I got to know you at the end of the last chapter. Take Care Janet.

6. Heather says:

I am so proud of you!!!
    I love you,
    Heather

7. Ron says:

Janet,

I don’t know you other than through your images, which are truly powerful, but I do know that you make a difference here and I am sure you will in your new town too! Ron

8. Amy Crawford says:

Janet, thanks for all the great shots. New Mexico and the desert Southwest have many more awaiting. (BTW, it was 112 here in Yuma, Ariz., this week). Best wishes.

9. Tricia Spaulding says:

Janet, you have no idea how much you have helped and inspired me through the past year. You made me believe there was something out there for me, and I thank you for your words of encouragement. Thanks.