Adam Bender

Adam Bender, 8, is one of several kids who plays catcher in Southeastern’s rookie league at Veterans Park. What makes Adam stand out is that he plays one of the toughest positions on the field with only one leg. Because of cancer, he had his left leg amputated when he was one. Adam doesn’t use a prosthesis, and only uses crutches when he reaches base for the Astros. Charles Bertram | Staff READ THE STORY

UPDATE: Since the story of 8-year old cancer survivor Adam Bender was published in the Lexington Herald-Leader, and on www.kentucky.com, on June 1, 2008, the one-legged catcher has been invited to throw out first pitches at a Chicago White Sox game, a Cincinnati Reds game, a Houston Astros game, and has been invited to a Garth Brooks benefit in Las Vegas. He is also being profiled for a story that will air on ESPN. On Sunday June 6, 2008, Adam threw out the ceremonial first pitch to Adam Dunn of the Reds.

1,779,464 views

Comments

1,175 Responses to “Adam Bender”
  1. brian moore says:

I am an amputee myself(above the knee) as well……I give this kid sooooooo much props. on his achievments…WOW…he is great with 1 leg ,alot better then i can do, i better push myself harder obviously…I only lost my leg 2 yrs. ago!!!

• Judy says:

Brian, never say never should be your motto. There is nothing that you can’t do – just put your mind to it. When the doctors told me I couldn’t do something – my parents would say – mark our words she’ll have done that just because you told her she couldn’t. I did, just so I could tell them na na na I did it. Just stand up – and say oh ya – yes I can. (don’t take offense to my statement above – you can still stand – even if you had no legs you always can stand- hold your head high) Judy

• JUDY says:

GOD BLESS HIM I HAVE A SON WHO IS PARAPLEDGIC AND HE IS SAME WAY HE DONT LET NOTHING STOP HIM GOD BLESS THEM AND YOU GO ADAM GOD BLESS YOU HONEY

• Anonymous says:

Adam just when i thought my life was hard and complicated; divorce, not being able to see my kids and a layoff. you my friend are the eppitamy of drive and determination and striving for ones goals. I wish you the best and never give up. thanks to you i now have hope.

yours truly,

mike from Chicopee, MA.

• Anonymous says:

You know what they say…. You are not “handi-capped” you are “handi-cabable”. You can overcome anything if you really want to. You have to try! I will keep you in prayer Brian! God bless you too.

2. It makes me weep when I see the horrible things that the medical establishment is doing to the people around the world.

• Tobin says:

Like saving peoples lives? Damn medical establishmnet, the nerve! Im sure the boy would have rather died with two legs than live with one.

Think before you talk.

• Anonymous says:

You’re a jerk! You insensitive blow hard!

• Larz says:

You may have a point, but you need to learn to present your thoughts in terms that go beyond invective. Someone might actually agree with you on the original topic.

Whatever, this kid is A-1 AMAZING!!! Focus on that!

• Gena M says:

Tobin, you sure have an “I’m the top of the world & no one can compete with me” attitude. It’s a darn good thing that dim-wits like you aren’t in the medical profession. Even a quadrapalegic can have a productive life.
        You seem to be the Neo-Nazi-only-the-perfect should survive kind.
        How dare you speak like that for someone else before talking with them, & their families?
        A friend of mine lost a leg below the knee in a motorcycle accident; the lady driver never even saw him: So he should have died, rather than get a prosthetic?
        Oh ye of little knowledge.
        And a lady I went to grade & high school with who was born missing her right arm from the elbow down? Should people like Obama’s folks condemn her to death, simply because she wasn’t born “perfect?” Perfect by whose standards?
        You need to look in the mirror: certainly you have some disformity that you aren’t facing, whether it be intelligence, looks, physical or mental problems.
        As was said by a wise person: look in the mirror & judge yourself before you judge another. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
        My bet is you cannot do any of the above.
        May God bless you, & forgive your lack of compassion & understanding.

• Jamie says:

Gena M.,
          It was clear that Tobin was using a thing called sarcasm… They were saying how ridiculous Challen’s comment was. Try to understand things before you go on a tangent. I am not trying to sound like a jerk, i completely agree with everything you said, but it was in a manner that was unfair to Gena.

• MFT says:

Gena-
          Really? You didn’t understand what Tobin was trying to say?

• Charlene M says:

Gena and Challen
          I am part of that Medical Establishment/Profession that you both
          speak of in such a horrible way. I must admit that Challen your ignorance
          astounds me, of course there are always some in the health care profession
          that are better than others. That is in every profession regardless of what
          job it is, but for you to insinuate that it was done on purpose( what the
          medical establishment is doing to people) is petty and small-minded and truly
          shows how educated you are about the advancements of medical science and how
          far we have come in our commitment to better everyone’s life in every way that
          we can. Including both of you. Gena…you seem to be standing on a soap box
          preaching intolerance and twisting other peoples words and statements. I hope you get the mental help you need because its obvious that you need some. This young man is a person you should learn from and he is truly a testament to
          his mother, father, and all of the other people ( Drs,nurses,physical therapists) who helped turn a horrible tragedy ( regardless of how or why ) into a positive, uplifting and inspirational story of a wonderful young man
          who will always inspire us to be a little better everyday. And oh yeah teach
          us to get off our soap box and make a difference, not just talk about making
          others different. Everyone is different but respect and tolerance is always the same.

• Alyson says:

Thank you and God Bless You for standing up. There is NO SUCH THING AS NORMAL PEOPLE!!! Everyone is different. I’m sure if we all examined everyone and dismissed them for their imperfections the human race would surely be gone.

• Annoyed says:

Gena M—What are you talking about?!?!?!?!?!? Not only did you seem all too eager to judge and belittle someone on a post, you did it with complete ignorance. Even if Tobin was serious, which he clearly was not, your argument was full of bias, assumptions and harsh judgements. Calm down and take breath.

• Lee Simpson says:

Gena, your comments were making sense until you started taking stupid and then it was downhill all the way. You need to re-read your letter. You are guilty of saying the same thing you accused the insensitive Challen of saying. I am an “Obama Folk” and don’t know what the hell you’re talking about. Who told you that Obama condemned people to death? Who? What? Where? When? How? And why? No one is more sensitive and caring then Obama.
          A saying goes, “It is better to be thought a fool and keep your mouth shut then to open it and remove all doubt.” Casting stones and looking in a mirror. You need to get started Sister. You got a long way to go and a big job ahead of you. Seeking common sense is the first to go after and not listening and believing every thing you hear from other fools is next.

• Carol says:

Obviouly, Gena M. is a FOX news watcher and a Rush-listener. “Obana’s folks condem her to death,” give me a break! You people need to change the channel if you want to hear “fair and balanced” coverage. The lies these people generate are directed at the ignorant and “low-information” population (predominently in the south!), of which Gena appears to be one. Such comments clearly demonstrate what is rampant regarding the health care debate. There is no debate, only negativity and distortions of the truth. Gena, PLEASE…change your channel and learn the facts before you say such stupid things.

• Chad says:

Carol you are no different. You make the assumption that everything on FOX is slanted and the other stations are correct. Others make the assumption that FOX is the only station trying to report facts.

Then you degrade people from the South.

Your goal was to point out how Gena’s bias made her comments invalid. All you accomplished was to show that you are just as biased on the polar opposite side of Gena. Neither one of you accomplished anything other than showing how closed minded you both are. Really you two are just alike. You both have been brain-washed. You just happen to have used different detergents.

Now the reason I came to the site was to see Adam’s video. Whenever I feel like I can’t accomplish something, I can watch this video and it inspires me to try with all I have. No regrets.

• Anonymous says:

• Anonymous says:

its life that you are talking about. what if it was your kid. would you want to say that he is better off dead then alive? what if it was you? would you want to die?

• jamie says:

IDIOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Like you living without a whole brain ….

• marcia says:

to the man who spoke so ill of our medical teams arounds the world who do what that can do to save anyone of us, SIR would you be so kind to donate your legs?? maybe then your outlook would be different.
        have a blessed day to all and especially my special awesome bseball player.
        Marcia

• Anonymous says:

i think tobin is the biggest idiot on the planet

• Chad says:

Tobin was being sarcastic in response to Challen’s comments!!! Why is that so hard for some of you to see?

Your on here arguing against someone who feels the same way you do!!!

Riduculous

• DanaDK says:

It makes me weep, too! ….in awe, with inspiration and gratefulness that we can save lives like Adam Bender, who is a beautiful example of the human spirit. “That” establishment is not perfect, but without it we wouldn’t have Adam to inspire us. What possibly causes a person to leave that kind of statement.

• Tootsie says:

Please say that this is a typo! If not….make sure you never have children that just might go through something like this….God only knows what you might say or do to them. You are one very saaaad person. This boy is one fine example of bravery and guts.

• Sunshine says:

I am going to choose my words very carefully here…… YOU’RE AN IDIOT!!!!!

3. patrick says:

You are amazing! End of story..

Challen…people like you deserve to be in his position… the hospital may have taken his leg but I am sure it was to stop the spread of cancer…

4. Amy says:

Adam is an amazing young man!. Every boy and girl throughout the world should read this article and watch the story. What an extraordinary young man!

5. Melanie says:

This is such an inspirational video, words can not express the emotions that I felt watching this young boy work so hard to be the best that he can be!!!
    My hope is that other children can learn to see that anything is possible if you are willing to try!

6. fritz says:

what a great story. a boy with the gift that did not give up. i wish other kids would have that spirit he has. i was a cacther when i was young playing ball. i would love to meet or talk to this boy on the phone. keep it up buuddy. we love you for this fritz schneider

7. Lee Salz says:

Adam is a true inspiration. In this tough economy, there are a lot of people that have gotten down on themselves. They have lost their drive, their motivation. Look to this 8 year-old phenom to see that you can accomplish anything if you believe in yourself.

Go get em, Adam!

8. Everyone needs inspiration everyday, Adam is being the inspiration and changing lives without him knowing it. What a gift!

9. Jackie Smith says:

from Jackie; I am an amputee also, cancer was the cause I lost my leg, but with the help of God me and Adam can succeed, and I want to say Adam is my hero.

10. Steve says:

God bless this kid, that was one of the most amazing things ive ever seen. Its just so awesome!

11. Jacqueline says:

I am in tears. What a Kid!!!! The parents of this child must be absolutely in awe of him. If you read my post please give your son a kiss and tell him that he has inspired a 42 year old woman in Tampa Florida to go for anything she wants. Adam you are unbelievable and may God Bless you because you are the most beautiful thing I have ever seen.
    Thank you.

12. brittany says:

woooww!!!!!!! this kid is amazing!!!!! i play softball and i doubt i could ever play with 1 leg like that.. this kid is amazing!!!!

13. Mary D. says:

Adam, You are one brave little boy. I say, “Go get em tiger”.

14. Rhonda McDonough from Pittsburgh, PA says:

I think Adam is a really strong and wonderful kid. His parents and coaches are really loving people. I thought everyone treated him just like everyone else, which is what he obviously wants. To see Adam do what he did is something I hope my grandchildren cand do and all the kids should live from his fine example. I don’t know him, but I am proud of him. Tkhank you for showing the Vidio of Adam. Those of us who feell sorry for ourselves about trivial things, should take Adams strenth and will power and follow his fine example. My best wishes for Adam, his aprents and coaches for being there for him. Also all the people at the game. God bless all of you.

15. Patrick says:

If 2% of the human race had 1/2 the heart of this little guy, can you imagine how much more of a wonderful world this would be??? Also… MAJOR KUDOS to whom ever are his parents /guardians! Keep up the GREAT WORK! Brother Adam should be a major inspiration to us ALL! May you reap all of the blessings God has to offer!

16. Aaron Fensterheim says:

EVERY MAJOR LEAGUE PLAYER SHOULD BE REQUIRED TO WATCH THIS VIDEO.

17. B Delie says:

Such a joy to see a child so much in love with life/ Thank you for sharing this wonderful child with us. So much we can learn from him.. Gods Blessings on your family

18. Laura says:

way to go lil man, u brought a tear to my eye and i’m sure i wount be the only girl you’ll make cry i bet your gonna be a hart breaker some day go get em kid! best of luck to you!!

19. Damien says:

Adam is a true inspiration. It is so wonderful to see a person who has the will to play on even in the face of great adversity, much more so when that person is a child. Adam looks like a pretty good catcher and base runner, too. I am sure he will be successful at anything he decides to do in life, and I hope others learn from Adam to never give up.

20. howard conley says:

God bless him, adam. he gives his all despitye adversity. These other SOB’s the cry poor mouth all the time disgust me. Mine give me health care and food and housing for free. The lazy bastar88 have no gupmytion to work.
    Yet this youing man gives his all. God bless him.

21. Mit Neslo says:

Well, it’s about time I stop whining about the five screws surgically placed into my left foot on March 13th-09, and the 19 weeks I have on crutches. Congratulations young man!! You have lifted my 46 year old spirits!! May God continue to bless you and your family.

22. eileen says:

BRAVO BRAVO ADAM, I GREW UP WITH A BROTHER WHO WAS IN BASEBALL ALL HIS LIFE. SO I KNOW WHAT THE BASEBALL LIFE IS ALL ABOUT. (HE WAS A PITCHER) ONE OF THE TOP IN HIS FIELD. CONGRATS, KEEP UP THE EXCELLENCE!!!!!

23. Jennifer says:

What an amazing and inspiring boy! I was literally brought to tears watching this young boy play baseball. Never give up on your dreams, anything is possible! Wow! How touching!

24. ethan says:

i feel bad for him

25. ethan says:

i can not even believe he can walk but i thought was really cool how he played baseball

26. annette says:

I was having a really bad day, when I received this from a dear friend, I was so ashamed of myself for even complaining about a minor thing. God is soooo good and Adam is a blessing in ways he will never know. This got my head straight in a mini second. I pray that all who see this will be blessed as I have been.

27. Norm says:

I have played a lot of sports in my time, i am now 56 but more to the subject i have also coached football, soccer and baseball from the little guys to beyond high school age, boys to men, in both the Cincinnati and Pittsburgh areas…. and i would have loved to have this kid on anyone of my teams. Ya know why? THE KID HAS HEART !! You can’t coach or teach that to anybody. Hang in there Kid…. YOU will go far and be successful in whatever you decide to do in the rest of your long, long life!!

Regards,
    Norm

28. Norm says:

I have played a lot of sports in my time, i am now 56 but more to the subject i have also coached football, soccer and baseball from the little guys to beyond high school age, boys to men, in both the Cincinnati and Pittsburgh areas…. and i would have loved to have this kid on anyone of my teams. Ya know why? THE KID HAS HEART !! You can’t coach or teach that to anybody. Hang in there Mr. Adam Bender…. YOU will go far and be successful in whatever you decide to do in the rest of your long, long life!!

Regards,
    Norm

29. John McQuillan (UK) says:

It’s a pity a lot more of the worlds kids don’t show the courage that this young boy does. Bless him

30. I watched this video in awe of Adam Bender!! What an amazing young man who has so much will power and determination, I admire his strength and love of the game!! I wish Adam the best in everything he does, there’s nothing he can’t do!!
    GO ADAM!!!

• Anonymous says:

My name is Brenda McCray, and I was fortunate enough to teach Adam, this past year, in third grade. From the first to the last moment of the school year, his attitude, participation, personality, and compassion for others was paramount. Actually, he caught my attention, the year before I taught him, when he held the door open for another student. I needed that positiveness in my classroom, so I asked my principal if she would consdier placing him on my classroom roll the following year. Students highly respected and trusted Adam. The last day of school, as he walked away, was bittersweet. I told him that I would always remember him. As teachers, we strive to make a difference in our students’ lives. Truthfully, he made a definite difference in mine.

31. John K says:

Adam is certainly amazing. But, what struck me is how everyone (including Adam) just appeared to pay no attention to his disability. After watching for a little while I just felt I was watching some pretty good kid’s baseball. Oh by the way, one team had a pretty good, gritty, little catcher.

32. Steve Trinklein says:

As a coach of little league baseball in central Florida and a father of two sons who play this definitely touches my heart. If only everyone had the drive of this wonderful child. The league there, the coaches and families should be applauded for having this kid play. The encouragemwnt and enjoyment they get watching him must be unthinkable. My best to Adam and his family for sharing this. There is nothing you can’t do, have or achieve when you work hard and give it your all. May God Bless each of you.

33. Carolee Smith says:

i think this kid is awsome most people do not have the courge this little boy has. I have to say6 he is wonderful. my God bless him and his oarents for helping him be what he is.

34. fausto says:

solo comentarles que ejemplo de vida de este pequeño seguramente de adulto sera una persona con mucho exito….

35. SmallFeesh says:

wow, I only read about 1/3 of the comments posted, but at least 3-4 posters have made idiots of themselves by not reading/understanding the post(s) they are ranting about. READ PEOPLE!

that being said, kudos goes to the parents for obviously being supportive and not coddling Adam like so many other parents would, because of that and the fact he has had one leg since likely before he could walk very well he is as comfortable with one leg as we all are with 2 as it is all he has ever known, albeit everything athletic will be much harder for him he will still learn well enough!

36. Mary H says:

I am really appalled (not even a strong enough word) with the heartless, negative postings about a child who has taken a life altering condition and made the best of it.
    Sadly, I have spent months/years in a Childrens Hospital with our grandson. These children never give up even at the very end.They smile, laugh, etc. It is so easy for a healthy person to say such hateful things especially about an 8 year old. I pray that you never have to personally experience the heartache of watching a child close to you suffer and fight for their life. But if God forbid you do,I hope your loved one has the courage that this young boy has. One day, when you grow up, you will think back on your horrendous comments and realize what a truly bad person you were/are.

37. louus says:

that was incredible

38. jamie says:

What an inspiration to all of us that nothing is impossible. God bless you sweetheart

39. Marcella Denney says:

I watch the flim and it was so beautiful to watch everyone that play with him, and Adam is a very brave young man with alot love and heart in him that I know and I feel in my heart he will have a very lovely long life and I know how much his family’s and freinds
    his and team mates love him so much and very proud of him, I know in my heart God love you and so proud of you for growing up to a lovely stronger heart young man, and keep it go Adam, your in everyone’s hearts and mosted my heart, God Bless You Adam and keep strong,
    Love from my heart, Miss Marcella Denney

40. Charles L says:

He is an awesome young man!!!!!!. How can you not be in awe of his ability, and to share a smile as you see him doing something he loves to play.

41. Mary says:

I think it is awesome to see a young boy with such courage and detemination. God bless you.

42. BOB HART says:

THE KID IS A GAMER..AND IS WHAT SPORTS
    ARE ALL ABOUT….WOW

43. Jan Winecoff says:

Boy, did this story hit home?! My dad lost his leg in a childhood accident. He never let it slow him down either. Our dad did more with his four, than any other dad in our whole neighborhood. May this little guy go far in life!! Thank you so much. Janet Lathrop Winecoff, Indianapolis, Indiana

44. G-ma Pat says:

GOD Bless you !!!!!!

45. Pat Earle says:

That is what I mean by courage. I teach in high school and I showed this clip to all of my classes…over 200 students! That kid is going to make it!

46. Steve G says:

WOW….. truely inspirational. Adam you have set a standard for all of us, it will be difficult to acheive this young mans determination and self confidence. Thank you Adam for touching my heart….

47. Ed Wiener says:

AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!

48. when the Lord takes away something from you , He ALWAYS gives your something better in it’s place.

49. Keri says:

This is such an inspirational story, how amazing kids are. Bless him. My son lost his left arm to Ewings Sarcoma, 1 week before his first birthday. As a mom I have worries on how he will play ball like his brothers. He is 3 now and I watch them play and just wonder. After watching this, it makes me keep the faith, that these children with determination can do ANYTHING!! GREAT STORY!!

50. Sarah says:

OMG! that little guy is so cute!!! I can’t believe he was brave enough to do that!