Surface Mine Reclamation

The second most common form of surface mine reclamation is the restoration of the land for hay, pasture or agricultural use. The D & D Ranch operates on reclaimed land at the Pine Branch Coal mine near Chavies, Ky. Researcher Tammy Horn is raising bees on reclaimed land in Leslie County to determine the viability of large scale commercial bee operations operating on reclaimed mine land throughout Eastern Ky. Photos by Charles Bertram

829 views

Comments

8 Responses to “Surface Mine Reclamation”
  1. JARED says:

IT WAS NICE TO SEE THE 2-3 PICTURES SENT BY THE COAL INDUSTRY. IF ANYONE WANTS TO SEE THE REMAINING 97 PERCENT OF RECLAMATION SITES, GET IN YOUR CAR AND DRIVE TO LETCHER, FLOYD AND MARTIN COUNTIES. THEY DO NOTHING WITH THEM LIKE THIS. IT IS A WASTELAND AND WE, RESIDENTS, HAVE TO LIVE WITH THIS MESS.

• michael says:

if you don’t like where you live ,move.i’ll use your analogy, what you said is 3% true and 97% bull

• Tyler Kirk says:

I Think the mine are doing a good job on the reclamation. I hace seen them turn them into golf coruses, airports, and im working on a job now where we are building a 4 lane highway as we mine the coal.

2. Bob Schnebly says:

Jared and Michael:

I’m sure both of you are correct as to your point of view depending on which side of the “Dozer” you come from. I have seen some beautifully reclaimed land in “The Bluegrass State” and I’ve also seen some wasteland that someone MUST be held accountable for. I currently live in Northern Virginia but, in the 1970s and 1980s ( 1978~1983 ), I lived in Berea, Richmond and Lexington, Kentucky. I loved each and every second of my time in Kentucky and will always cherish it’s profound beauty and splendor.

Bob Schnebly

3. Samantha says:

Hey im trying to learn about mining reclamation if anyone would be willing to send me any more information I would really enjoy it thanks!

4. こんにちはこのためにサブスクライブするブログWebサイト Surface Mine Reclamation | Heraldleaderphoto.com 取得 最新アップデートを、そう助ける|支援|私ゆえ}ここで、それは助けて{くださいませんことができます。
    バーバリー トレンチコート http://www.eccolapasta.com/burberry.html

5. Hi, yes this article is really nice and I have learned lot of things from it regarding blogging.
    thanks.

6. leaf blower says:

Excellent website. Plenty of useful information here. I’m sending it to several pals
    ans also sharing in delicious. And naturally, thanks in your effort!